I've been Thinking about my thinking! Freebies! ***UPDATED***

This week I began instruction in reading comprehension with my 6th graders. After seeing Holly's post last year about Schema, (you should head over to her blog Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade and read it, there's a freebie!!!) I had to have this book...........
Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading

and I absolutely love it!! (Click on the picture to go to Amazon and get the book for yourself, it is so worth the $20). When working with students who have disabilities and I have found the abstracts of reading the most difficult to teach. I can show you how to sound out a word, stretch it, build it, write it, and memorize a meaning. But how do you teach someone to think??? This book provides great ideas and activities for giving kids real tactile ways to think about their thinking! Yeah we even learned the big ol word for that. This week I introduced them to the concept of meta-cognition, it went so well!!

I was so impressed with them and loved the activities we did. Here you can see our anchor chart with thinking stems,
I drew this one (don't look to closely I am no artist as some of them pointed out by asking what the big thing sticking out of the bottom of the face was..haha), and then copied the one from the book that each student filled in and placed in their reading notebooks.


We used speech bubbles I laminated so we could write on them with dry erase markers and wipe them off....
to record our thinking about our guided reading books! The kids did an awesome job of recording what they were thinking throughout the lesson. We talked a lot about deepening our thinking, not just noticing surface facts but really thinking about what the story is about and what is going on. 

and now for the freebies....... first here's the speech bubbles you can print and laminate then use over and over again!

And these are the labels for our graphic organizer we are using to keep track of all our comprehension strategies! I'm sure you've heard of Dinah Zikes big book of books and foldables! Well we just made an 8 tab flip book and put these labels on them. Meta-cognition goes on top and overshadows all of them, it's the umbrella of thinking that involves using all the other strategies!

***UPDATE*** Here is a look at the finished flip book!
 I used 5 sheets of white paper, folded over each other, glued the headings on in the order that I will be teaching them, under each flap we will write about the strategy as you can see below! (Hope this helps)
 
I hope you get what this should look like, I will post pictures once I have it all together! I have so much more I want to share this weekend so stay tuned! Hope you all have a great holiday weekend!

14 comments

  1. Love that book too! Just got it this fall and did the Metacognition lesson on the second day of school. I love hearing the kids use a "fancy" word like metacognition and really understand what it means!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the speech bubbles, Amy! I can already think of so many ways to use them with my kiddos :)

    Kara
    Spedventures

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M LOVING THE SPEECH BUBBLES! I will have to use those in next week or two and maybe even blog about how I used them in my post I'll do soon (featuring a laminator....) Can't wait! These are awesome! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your speech bubbles. I have some that I purchased that I was wondering how to use them. Now I know! I'd like to invite you to my new linky called "Fun Friday." It is all about the fun things we do in our classrooms. I'd love for you to stop by and link up!

    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your speech bubbles and flip book! I have some speech bubbles that have been sitting in a drawer, and I can't wait to use them for some metacognition! :-) Thanks!

    Nichole
    Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book and love your ideas to go with it! I taught my firsties a song about metacognition, the tune is "Are You Sleeping?"
    Metacognition, metacognition
    What does it mean? What does it mean?
    I'm thinking about my thinking; I'm thinking about my thinking
    When I read, when I read.

    Not sure where I got the song from, but I love it!
    Camille
    An Open Door

    ReplyDelete
  7. The speech bubbles are such a great idea! Your kids are so lucky to have you :)

    Amber
    T is for Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your flip book and the picture of the umbrella is a great idea! I just found your blog and I'm now following you. I would love for you to stop by mine when you get a chance!
    Patti:)
    A Series of 3rd Grade Events

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. Thank you so much for the freebie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the meta cognition flip book... Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely going to look into the book.
    ;0) Melissa
    Www.moretime2teach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that book too! I made the large speech bubble so my students can stick their head in it as they share their thinking! It is a big hit for my third and fourth graders. Thanks for posting your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to grab these freebies, but they aren't showing up on the screen, it says there is an error. Any ideas or anywhere else I can grab them?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim email me at theresourcefulroom@gmail.com and I will send them to you!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top